Search This Blog

Friday, July 29, 2011

And here I thought WV was a big adventure!

So. I find myself standing at the rear of the unemployment line. One of the latest casualties of the Great Economic Downturn.

Other than feeling like I've been hit by a Mack truck, I'm actually fine with it.

I had not realized just how stressed I have been. When I walked in to work that fateful morning, I had a knot in my chest, tight shoulders, the beginnings of a two-day migraine and no idea what was coming. All I knew is I had a week's worth of work to do and three days to do it in.

Here I am two days later and the knot is gone and the shoulders are relaxed. Yes, the headache blew up into a miserable, two-day migraine, but it's now gone, too. I still have no idea what's coming. I just know it's going to be okay somehow. It always is.

It's not that I don't care. I do. But I figure I have to take this in stages. It feels like a breakup. Perhaps a much softer version of a death. It is a loss, as my counselor would say. I have to grieve it, even if I'm kind of glad it happened. I won't be grieving for a long time, but I will need a minute. After all, I spent 10 years working to get here. Well...there.

Yes, I said I'm glad it happened. I never would have found the time to look for a job I'm more suited for if this hadn't happened. There's safety in the familiar. Especially for a single mom with two kids to support.

They took it well. Catie put her arms around me, trying to comfort me. Christopher is more concerned with the details. What are we going to be able to do, and what aren't we going to be able to do? What if I can't find a job?  Where am I going to look?

He said he feels more pressure now to find a job himself.

"Why?" I was quick to ask. "You are 16. Enjoy being 16. You're only young once. It is not your place to have to worry about supporting this family. That is my job."

"I know," he said. "But if I want anything, like a car, I need a job."

"Okay. As long as you're talking about getting a job to buy the stuff you want. But you are not going to worry about taking care of the family."

I have amazing kids.

I do have a plan, and here it is: I'm not thinking about anything of import until Monday. Until then, I'm shock-absorbing.

Today, I will clean my house, maybe spend time with my sweetie, pay some bills (yay for payday!), and do some grocery shopping. I will make cheesecakes to take to my family gathering tomorrow. I will do laundry.

Life goes on.

Next week is the kids' last week before school starts back. I'm thinking a Thursday or Friday lake trip sounds like a wonderful idea. We have school shopping to do. I will spend time with them next week.

I am curious to see what the next chapter in my life hold. But I do know this: I will not worry. God will provide.

1 comment: