Search This Blog

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ooh baby baby it's a wide world...


... Sorry. I couldn't think of a good title. 

I wrote this blog post yesterday, but I couldn't post it because of internet problems. By this morning, the issue had spread to my landline, my cable and my wireless router (which affects Facebook on cell phones and horror of horrors, iPods), all of which are connected to the same modem, which just sat there, all black and lightless. 

Bleary-eyed (I was still waiting for my coffee to brew) and while my cereal got mushy, I mashed the reset button on the back with a half-chewed pencil. The modem lights flickered, then flickered out. So I called Comcast to have them send me a refresh signal. Didn't work. The automated lady offered to put me through to a real person, who said he couldn't see my computer from his end. He asked me if it was plugged in. Of course it is, I thought. Otherwise no lights would have come on when I hit the reset thingy, right? Made sense to me. I had no idea which plug in the power strip was the modem, so I just started pushing in random plugs, and guess what? 

Yep. Shut up.

So anyway...here is the blog post I was gonna post yesterday. I'll wait for you to finish laughing. 



I have figured it out. I live vicariously through my subjects. Either that, or I'm ADD. 

We won't discount that possibility.

There is a ginormous world out there, and as much as I want to experience it all, I can’t. As much as I want to do it all, I can't. I meet people every day who are passionate about what they do, and they become amazingly good at it. That is why we write and read about them, after all. They study everything they can get their hands on about their one specialty.

I would love to have a fraction of their knowledge and be just a tiny bit good at whatever it is that they do. But frankly, I don’t want to invest that kind of time. Plus, I just find way too many things fascinating to be tied down to one specialty for very long. If I took a six-week course in everything I find interesting, I would never do anything outside a classroom. Besides, in three days I'd be like, "Okay, that was fun. What's next?" 

Take today. I talked to a 29-year-old chef who is clearly rising quickly to the top of his field. Twenty medals in the 13 years or so he’s been with the American Culinary Federation. There aren’t many chefs in his position in this area, I’m told. But every time I tried to talk about him, as a person, he steered the conversation back to food, and the profession. Actually, I don't think he steered it so much as we just kept ending up there. That's the passion talking. I tasted a fruit leather (think fruit rollups without all the sugar) he created just that morning. Just...out of the blue decided to make some berry puree and stick it in the dehydrator to see what it would do. And then there was the brisket he had cooking in this tub thingy that smelled absolutely divine. They won't be ready until Friday, though. All I know is, after 30 minutes of talking to him I was ready to sign up for a cooking class.

Then tonight, I spent two hours watching members of the Aiken Community Playhouse rehearse The Great American Trailer Park. What started off as an interview with a director ended up feeling like I was just hanging out with a group of friends. Or, talking to a group of friends I was welcome in but not necessarily a part of. Yeah, that’s it. Then they invited me to stay and watch. So I did. I remembered drama class in high school, and all the times I get up and sing karaoke in front of strangers. It is all fun and is great for building confidence. This group had so much fun “working” that frankly, I kind of want to go back tomorrow night. I almost wanted a part, too. And I left wanting to join a theater group. But honestly, I don't think I could handle the rehearsal schedule. Four nights a week. All day on Sunday. My hats off to all of them. 

Hmmm….maybe I need to write down all the things that I'm interested in. Sort of a Bucket List of things I want to do or learn before I die. Then I guess I need to get started doing something! 

Ballroom dance
Learn how to adequately decorate a cake
Take a cooking class
Take a writing class
Learn to row
Bike
Run
How to make a latte, or a cappuccino, or an espresso, or some other yummy coffee with whipped cream on top
How to run a business (preferably a coffee one)
Learn how to buy coffee beans, and how to roast them
Go see another country. Perhaps to buy coffee beans
How to invest and grow money
How to make some extra money...without sacrificing time with my kids/friends/family or a somewhat clean house (needed in order to grow money)
Gardening
Planting and tending a vegetable garden
Canning the stuff I grow in the garden….provided any ends up edible
Learn how to take an X-ray
Learn to give a shot (I don’t know why. I hate getting them.)
Learn how to write a book
Write for a home magazine
Sew curtains…and pillow cases…and a dress
The fundamentals of interior design
Learn about architecture
Walk across the country. (I’d be happy to drive, too.)
Coupon like a champ



I will definitely have to add to this list later. These are just off the top of my head. Tomorrow I’ll probably meet someone else cool, and I’ll want to do what they’re doing, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment